Blanchet (pronounced Blan-shāy) House is a nonprofit social services organization located in Old Town Portland. We make a difference, one relationship at a time, through food, clothing, and supportive housing programs. We serve anyone who comes to our doors without judgment because we believe everyone deserves dignity, hope, and community.
Our Charitable Philosophy
In 1952, Blanchet House was founded by a group of University of Portland alumni as a “House of Hospitality” in the model of those established by the Catholic Worker Movement. Although we are not affiliated with any religious organization, the founders were rooted in the Catholic community. Blanchet House’s mission derives from Catholic social teaching principles, including honoring the dignity of every person, offering aid to the poor and vulnerable, and solidarity. Our board and staff include persons of various faiths, and we do not proselytize to our clients or guests.
We serve breakfast, lunch, and dinner six days a week in our Founders Cafe. (During the COVID pandemic we are serving all meals to-go from our doors.) Nutritious hot meals are compassionately served by volunteers.
All are welcome to enjoy meals at Blanchet House without judgment. No questions asked.
Clean clothing, hygiene items, and sleeping essentials are offered during most meal services. New and gently used adult-sized clothing is donated by individuals and businesses. We also have a dedicated clothing service on Saturdays.
Blanchet House operates two transitional shelter programs for men struggling with addiction, unemployment, mental health, and other challenges. Blanchet House and Blanchet Farm are life renewal work programs in which all residents are required to contribute to the community by fulfilling essential roles in operations.
The guests living in the Blanchet House program in downtown Portland work in the kitchen preparing and serving food for the public. The men living at Blanchet Farm in Carlton, Oregon maintain a 62-acre farm, including animals, beehives, woodshop, and gardens.