Housing the Houseless

BlanchetHouseofHospitalityinlate50s web

1958 - Housing the Houseless

By 1958, the Blanchet Club had raised enough money to purchase the entire building on NW 4th for $25,000. The building was christened the Blanchet House of Hospitality. 340 NW Glisan, which still stands, is an orange masonry building with a small basement for storage, the main floor that contained a public dining room, kitchen, manager’s office, and bathrooms. The founders and their families cleaned up the upper floors to use as short-term housing units for men who, in exchange for room and board, would work in the kitchen and help serve.